Tuesday, April 03, 2007

They've added humiliation to their inventory

While visiting my friendly, neighborhood Wally World yesterday, I decided to try on a dress that I had been eyeing for a few weeks. I would like to have a new dress for Easter and this would have been a good one. So while Sweet Hubby took the boys to go look at boy things, I grabbed the last one of my size and made my way to the dressing room.

The dress zips up the side and the front is very similar to the back. I thought I had it all figured out, and I put it on and zipped it up. But something wasn't right. It just looked funny on me. That's when I realized that I'd put in on backwards. Silly me, I thought and I went to unzip it. But the zipper was stuck. STUCK.

So there I am, in the Wally World dressing room with a dress on backwards like my 4 year old dressed me and it ain't coming off. And my only hope at being able to keep my dignity and getting the dress off is on the other side of the store looking at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys with my children. I was afraid I was going to have to rip the zipper or gnaw the thing off like a wild animal. But then my conscience would make me pay for the dress, and then I'd be stuck with a dress I can't wear and not enough money left over to buy a new one. Before panicking, though, I gave the zipper one more good tug. It finally came free. I turned the dress around, already convinced that I wasn't buying it because of the potential humiliation it almost gave me. Which was okay, because it looked just as weird with the front where it actually belonged.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

You make me laugh Alli :) I remember getting stuck all the time trying on prom dresses with all the complicated designs. Hope you find something you like!

Jenn said...

Thanks for the laugh :) Not that haven't been in simliar situations, cuz I have :)

KatieBug said...

That is really funny! Remind me to tell you about the time I got stuck to the shopping cart at the Wally World.

LaughterThoughts said...

why is that the cutest outfits hanging on the hanger are always the ones that don't look so cute at all once they're hanging on your body??!!

i tried on a long straight dress one time (pre-kids when i could wear those really slim, hugging dresses!)-- the kind that you slip over your head and shimmy down. well, they always go on a whole lot easier than you can get them off. i was doing some kind of monkey dance trying to work it back up over my shoulders. it wasn't designed to make getting your arms back out very simple. i was really worried about ripping some seams or something. i think i may have heard a couple threads break, though! that dress could've used a zipper!

i remember i thinking about whether it would be more embarrassing for me to have to call for a saleslady to help me out of the dress or for her to see me standing there nearly naked after getting me out.