Sunday, June 29, 2008

I see him everyday, but I miss him

Sweet Hubby's started this overnight schedule where he works 4 nights in a row and then he's off for 3 days. The days that he works, I just count on not seeing him except for about an hour for dinner. He doesn't get home in the morning until breakfast time, then he goes straight to bed. He wakes up around 5ish, showers and then leaves directly after dinner. Which means for the majority of the week, I wake up and go to bed alone.

The days that he's off are great. We get to spend a lot of family time together and we get a lot done around the house. But it seems like all our time is just covering the basics. Even when we get a chance to actually have an uninterrupted conversation, we just talk necessities, like the finances or schedules or what needs to be done to the house and when.

The last few weekends, the kids have gone to their grandparents. Which leaves me at home alone after Sweet Hubby goes to work at 7pm. That was nice the first weekend and okay the second, but this weekend, it kinda sucked. I've eaten almost an entire pan of brownies since Friday night and I've watched far too many shows about selling houses. My house is clean and the laundry is done, so there's not much to do in that area. Although, I have become obsessed with bringing my scorched yard back to life, so the last few nights I've spent a lot of time outside moving the sprinkler. In my jammies.

I'm kinda lonely. And feeling pathetic. There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Sweet Hubby's supposed to be working this schedule for 6 months. There's talk that his manager might bring him back to days, but we're not sure about that yet.

I'm gonna go finish off the last brownie.

3 comments:

mamashine said...

Oh honey, I SO feel you. And if the kids were there, you'd feel just the same except the house would be dirty on top of it all. It sucks.

Having done it for six months though, I can tell you that it didn't break us or anything. :) And my sister did it for way longer than that.

I did eat a lot of brownies though.

Anonymous said...

Wow...those must be some kind of yummy brownies!!!

And I know what you are going through. Ken and I have been doing it for 7 years. It's not easy and it's not fun. And yes, the loneliness can drive you crazy. Esp when you are 8 months pregnant....Lol. You can call anytime, you know that. Or come up on days that I'm off to break up the routine. I would like to say it gets easier, but...it just becomes part of everyday life that you eventually get used to. KWIM? Call if you need me. Even if it is to vent and scream. ;)

bj

Mommy Daisy said...

Mmm, brownies. Now you're making me want to whip up a batch. (And I can't remember the last time I made brownies.)

Anyway, this schedule sound horrible, but I'm sure that you'll adjust. And I can understand being bored without the kids. My mom just asked to keep Zachariah for 2 nights this week, and I don't know if I can be away from him that long. I think we'll let him go, though, because he'll have fun there. And it is nice to have an occasional break.

BUT, you can do it, just hold on and know this schedule isn't forever.