Friday, August 01, 2008

Darn those female parts

I'm finally feeling better after two days of nasty pain. At first I didn't know what was going on, but after a late-night ER visit, we deduced that it was probably an ovarian cyst that burst. I've had cysts before. Large ones, too. When I was newly pregnant with Marc-Adam, I had this large lump on my left side way down near my c-section incision. My doctor initially thought it was a hernia. Turns out it was a cyst. On my right ovary. It was so large that it had caused my right ovary and fallopian tube to fall over to the left side. The doctor was seriously concerned about an ovarian torsion (which is the fancy schmancy way of saying "twisted tubes" (on a completely random note, wouldn't that be a cool name for a punk rock band? The Twisted Tubes)). It never happened, praise God, but instead the cyst just kinda deflated. I also had cysts when I got pregnant with Stephen and Zachary (and as an aside, I'm in no way implying that I might be pregnant, I'm just saying that I know I had them then because I had the ultrasounds to see them...I've most likely had them at other times because of the pain I get at ovulation, but my pregnancies are the only chances I actually get to see the cysts).

So anyway, I'm feeling much better. I never did find out exactly what was wrong because I never got an ultrasound. We waited for hours at the ER, and I got tired of waiting. Then when I called my doctor to try to get in to see her the next morning, the nurse wanted to get snotty with my because I didn't stay at the ER for the ultrasound. But by the time we had finally left the ER, I had been up for 20 hours and I was getting NO REST thanks for the plastic IV thingy shoved up my arm and the pain that I came in with (which was diminished by the pain of the IV thingy being shoved up my arm). The ER people were annoying me because no one really knew what was going on. So I left. Against medical advice. I never thought I would be one to do that. They made me sign a paper that said that I could die if I left. Like they were going to convince me with their scare tactics. Besides, I would have bet the offending ovary that it was indeed a ruptured cyst. The pain was like none other. I didn't have much of a sense of humor Wednesday night, but on the way to the ER I joked with Sweet Hubby that wouldn't it be funny if I were actually in labor and didn't know it?

He didn't think it was that funny.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Ugh. How rotten! I'm glad that you're feeling better.

KatieBug said...

Poor Honey!! I hear those are SO SO painful. :(

mamashine said...

Oh YUCK.

In labor and not knowing it. :) Wouldn't that be CRAZY?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I hope you are well now. That's scary and sounds awful, all around. I mean, don't they get that if you'd rather leave in that pain than stay and wait then maybe they should help a bit more? Come one, people!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know what's worse - the cyst or the wait. I'm glad the ordeal is over, though. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

Anonymous said...

oh girl, that hurts like crazy. Sorry about that.

There are some ER's in this country that need some big time overhauls! Don't get me started!