Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Getting much closer...

So I bought a new gluten-free bread mix this weekend, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Wonderful Homemade Bread, really hoping it would put me closer to my search for the best GF bread. I was finally able to make it this morning. And then my breadmaker broke. The one I just got and have used three or four times.

Long story short, I heart Sunbeam now because they are sending me a brand new one free of charge.

But I still had half-mixed dough in the broken one. I wasn't really sure what to do, but I scooped it out and let it rise and bake in the oven. Much to my surprise (because the dough tasted like dirt....not that I know how dirt tastes) it's actually pretty good. The texture is right-on which is what the problem has been with all the other breads. They were hard, dry and crumbly. But this is soft, moist and chewy. It still tastes a bit like dirt, but hey...slap on some cashew butter and jelly and the 2 year old probably won't notice.

And in mac and cheese news...DeBole's Rice Pasta and Cheese tastes just like the processed orange stuff that my kids love. Except it's not orange. It took a little convincing to get them to taste it after the "Penne and Chreese" incident, but once they did, they inhaled it. I've also found a recipe for chicken nuggets using polenta as the breading. I thought it was just okay, but again, the kids inhaled it.

So, fortunately, were not having to eat tofu and sprouts which is what I was mildly afraid when we went on this diet.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

yay! Im sooooo glad things are working out. you are such a good mom!

KatieBug said...

Good for you! I'm glad you are finding some tastey stuff the boys will eat.

mamashine said...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are only one or two brands of breadmaker that can handle GF bread regularly. All the others keep breaking. If it breaks again, you might have to look into a different kind.