Friday, June 01, 2007

Our progress

Well, this is the 4th day that we've been TV-free. I'll admit, we haven't been completely TV-free, but darn close. Tuesday (the day we started this adventure) we didn't watch all day, but after Sweet Hubby got home, he started making dinner and I was feeding Marc-Adam and the kids asked if they could watch Reba. I was so proud of how well they did that I let them. And then we realized that a movie we rented for them a few days before was due and we hadn't all gotten to watch it, so we watched it together during dinner. It was fun and it felt like a reward.

And then Wednesday, Stephen kept asking if he was going to miss Cyberchase (a show on PBS he's recently found and loves). I told him probably and I just felt so bad ("suckaaa"). I knew we were going over to my in-laws that afternoon and since I'm not extending the "No TV" rule to the grandparents' houses, I made sure we were at their house by the time Cyberchase came on. They were glued to it like they never have been before. It was fairly humorous. But I didn't break my own rule.

Yesterday was completely TV-free.

Today, they haven't even asked for it. Zachary didn't even cry this morning(prior to today, he's cried about it every time he wakes in the morning or from a nap). My mother-in-law bought them a Diego movie yesterday and I told them that they've been so good about the TV this week that they could watch it after naps. But once it's over, it's over. I'll admit that it's been a rough day. I'm cranky and tired and would love nothing more than to turn on the TV for them so I can crawl up on the couch and close my eyes. But I haven't. And I won't. We've come this far and they need to know that I'm following through even when I don't feel like it anymore.

I have to say, too, I never knew how much chaos the TV added. The boys are calmer and are playing together more. I'm calmer and getting so much more done (go figure...most of the time the TV wasn't even on something I would watch) and I'm doing things that I never would have done with them if they were still plopped in front of the TV. Wednesday we played "War" with every pair of balled up socks we could find until we were all sweaty and out of breath. Stephen's been putting on little plays and we've had jam sessions with every instrument (and a few non-instruments) we own. I'm learning so much more about them and having such an awesome time spending this time with them.

But oh, how I miss Fox News. I miss not knowing every single bit of news that comes across the little blue ticker. But we're doing this as a family and nothing more would get done if it was on Fox News all day instead of the kids' shows.

So in case you were wondering, that's how it's going. If things stay this way, I might just cancel the satellite altogether and save that $60/month. That's a whole bunch of money around here!

4 comments:

LaughterThoughts said...

yay!!!

mamashine said...

I am proud of you.

I am still in the "I could NEVER do that" stage.

What does your hubby say about tv free? I don't think Clay could do it. (I say that like he's the only one...)

Life With All Boys said...

I'm impressed. Around here TV doesn't get watched much this time of year, but I'm not sure I want to shut if off either.

Rachel said...

good for you Alli! Tv-free days are much calmer at our house too. I love how much better the boys play together!