Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday--my first!!

This is my first attempt at Works for Me Wednesday (click here for some more great tips). I'm not sure if this is really lame, or really cool, or somewhere in between. But since I'm not very creative or original in my thoughts, I was pretty impressed with myself for coming up with this a year or so ago.

We go through an insane amount of yogurt around here. The kids love it and eat it at least every other day. Since they like different kinds and the kind with the fruit, we have to get the little individual serving cups. I felt terrible about throwing those away all the time. It just seemed like a lot of waste. So I started saving them. A lot of them. Too many, probably. And I wasn't sure what I was even going to do with them. Then one day I was setting up the table for a painting project for the kids and was trying to figure out how I was going to do the paint. It drives me crazy when all the colors get mixed together, so I was going to give each color it's own brush. Then I remembered the yogurt cups! So I squirted a little bit of paint in to six yogurt cups and gave each cup a brush. The colors still got a little mixed, but I'm going to have to get over that! And then when we were done, I threw the cups away! Hardly any clean up! It was really easy (and as a side note, I save all of Sweet Hubby's old, holey, nasty, "shrunken" t-shirts for painting, too...I throw them on the kids to avoid getting their skin and/or clothes painted, but I'm sure everyone does that).

Ok, so I only use the yogurt cups one more time, but I feel less guilty about throwing them away.

I also save the little individual serving cups of applesauce. We don't use as many of those, but we do once in a while. They are the perfect size for putting a little syrup in when eating pancakes or waffles. The kids love to dip and we all use less syrup (which means less sugar AND saving money on syrup) because you don't use as much when dipping as opposed to drenching your pancakes in it.

Works for me!

4 comments:

nicole said...

That is a great idea! We eat yogurt every day around here, and I too feel bad just tossing them. I had been using paper plates for painting--putting a bit of each color on the plate. This will work great for us. Thanks for the tip.

Jenn said...

Good thinking! I should start saving them now for when Chloe is old enough to paint.

I probably wouldn't have thought of that myself :)

Unknown said...

That is a great idea!

KatieBug said...

Great Idea! The applesause ones would be good for glue to.