Friday, October 31, 2008

Is it over yet?

November 4 is fast approaching, and while that day holds significance for me every year, this year on our anniversary, Sweet Hubby and I will be casting what I think is the most important vote we have ever cast. Actually, this is only my second time to vote in a presidential election (the first time I was eligible, there was a registration error that kept me from being able to vote in 2000). But this year, it feels more urgent.

I know a lot of people would call this election done, based on the poll numbers. But it's not yet. I don't trust the polls at all. And I read that at this point in the 2004 race, Kerry was up by 6 points according to the polls. However, despite not believing the polls and not being convinced that this whole thing is wrapped up for one particular candidate, I'm not exactly hopeful. Mainly because I think that whatever happens, this process leading up to November 4 has left a bad taste in my mouth. There's been lies, fraud, hateful words and actions, and all around awfulness from the supporters of each campaign that keeps normal people from being able to completely trust any candidate, if that were even possible. No matter who gets elected, I think we the people have been jipped. We've not been given a fair opportunity to have all the information we need to make an intelligent decision. There are many, many people who are fired up for who they are voting for. But there are still many that aren't. And it's a sad day for our country when so many Americans have to go to the polls feeling defeated before they even cast their ballot.

Honestly, I don't think that either candidate can make good on the promises they've made. No one person can, even if they are the POTUS.

I normally love this process....I enjoy a good debate, and I'm okay with the fact that at least half of the people that call this country home disagree with me on many issues, but I'll be glad when this is all over. I'll be glad when we get to see the candidate who wins for what kind of president he'll really be. I'll be glad when people finally quiet down about it all. I'll be glad when we can leave all the yelling to the folks in Washington and us normal folks can finally be normal again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I cannot wait for this election to be over!

KatieBug said...

My Love keeps telling me more, and more, and MORE things about the candidates that are not being publicly announced.(He listens to way too much talk radio.) I keep telling him that I already voted so for me it is over! I am SO done with this election!