Friday, December 08, 2006

What child is this?

My sweet Zachary. He doesn't eat any fruit and won't eat most vegetables. It started when he was about a year old....it was a sensory issue. He didn't like the cold wet of the fruit or the mushy of the vegetables. So, I've just kept offering the same things. He doesn't have to eat it, but it's always on his plate. My mantra is that he won't eat it if he never sees it.

A few times over the last few months, he's been getting better. Grudgingly tasting a few bites of various fruits because he saw big brother eating it(Stephen will eat any fruit). He's even eaten a few apple and pear slices. There was dancing the day that happened.

So, the other night, we were having left over chicken and dumplings for dinner. I cooked up some green beans and that was our meal. Zachary doesn't eat chicken and dumplings OR green beans, but that's what was on that night's menu. I plated his dinner and set it down in front of him. He takes one look at and starts whining. That's a common annoyance, I mean, occurence, so I just walked away telling him that this was our dinner. He then pointed to an empty spot on his plate and said, "Salad. SALAD! I NEED SALAD!! NEED SALAD!! SALAD SALAD SALAD!!!!" Dh and I looked at each other and started laughing. WHO was this child? Get the child some lettuce!!

Unfortunately, the only salad we had was more liquid than solid (gross, I know). I hated hearing the words, "I'm sorry, but you can't have salad tonight" come out of my mouth. I won't let that happen again.

2 comments:

mamashine said...

So funny how they do stuff like that. I wonder if he would have actually eaten it if you'd had any.

Gilly didn't eat any fruits at all until after she was two, by the way, and all of a sudden tasted one and yelled, "HEY! This yummy!" like I'd been holding out on her. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, liquid salad is probably not the best option for a kid who has a texture thing with his food. Sam is like that too to some extent. I wouldn't be surprised if he got to be like Zachary when he gets to be his age. I can see it coming...and one day I'll tell him he can't have salad today and then keep fresh salad that he'll never touch in the house for years to come just in case the mood strikes again:)