Thursday, September 27, 2007

"We are not best friends"

I had a best friend. We got along so well together. We laughed and played, we taught each other things. We shared meals....well, more specifically, I offered myself for his meals and we spent every minute possible together. Things were wonderful and sweet. And then my best friend grew and changed as a person. He started yelling at me. Pinching and scratching and worst of all, biting me. He started not letting me eat a meal in peace or get a good night's sleep. And one day, he didn't even notice when I left without saying goodbye.

We are not best friends anymore.

In all seriousness, I really am about to pull my hair out about Marc-Adam. Granted, our life has sorta been turned upside down with Sweet Hubby gone so much and we haven't even been home in almost two weeks. But the last several days, Marc-Adam has been so cranky and so fussy and so clingy. In the mornings when he wakes up looking all smiley and refreshed and happy to see me, after keeping me up what seemed like all.night.long, I tell him, "We are not best friends." I seem to have some kind of vague, blurry memory of at least one of the other boys going through something like this, but I don't know for sure. I know it could be separation anxiety, but I thought we went through that phase a couple months ago. He won't let me out of his sight and now that he's mobile he follows me around screaming and yelling because I put him down to do such silly things like eat and you know, go the bathroom. He gets mad even when I put him down and then SIT RIGHT NEXT TO HIM to play. He needs to be held and I better be standing up while I do it.

Oh, but after behaving that way all day long, Papa comes home, offers some frozen goodness in the form of a popsicle and Marc-Adam's all, "Mom? Mom who?" Which isn't a terribly bad thing because then I can actually get something done without him attached to my hip. But it still irritates me...I'm not sure why.

I'm really hoping hoping hoping things can get back to some kind of normal once we get back home. I really can't take too much more of this.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

awwwh! I nodded my head in understanding and sympathy throughout your whole post. J is older and she still suffers from major sep anxiety and needing me there right by her a lot of the time. For her, teething has really changed her, ever since she turned 1. Homeopathic teething drops or just calming drops may help him. Sometimes I just put her on my back in the Beco so I can get something done without her screaming at me while hanging on my leg ;) Hang in there girl, you arent alone!